The body which is now known as IAMIC was formed in 1958 as a grouping of 'National Music Centre Representatives' under the aegis of the International Music Council. In 1962, the member-organisations became a constituent branch of the International Association of Music Libraries (IAML).
In 1986, growing activity and membership led to the setting up of the International Association of Music Information Centres functioning under its own bylaws and board of directors. The affiliation with IAML ended in 1991 when IAMIC, by then with some forty member-organisations, became a fully-independent association.
The present legal entity as recognised under Belgian law in 2009 continues without interruption all activities, functions and intentions of this body since its inception in 1958.